The Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) holds ultimate authority and responsibility for Big Ten Conference governance. All policy is decided at the COP/C level, including the conference office annual budget and all other financial matters.
Other responsibilities of the COP/C include, but are not limited to, hiring and determining duties of the Big Ten Commissioner, enforcing conference rules, agreements, appendices and bylaws, amending or repealing bylaws and admitting new institutions into membership.
The COP/C Executive Committee conducts the regular business of the COP/C between its two annual meetings and provides direction to the commissioner in the conduct of the day-to-day operations of the conference.
The COP/C has roots that date back to early 1952. In May of that year, it was determined that the conference commissioner be employed by the 10 conference presidents, and that the commissioner shall report to that group on the enforcement of conference rules and regulations. The group, then known as the Council of Ten, was re-named the Council of Presidents and Chancellors with the inclusion of Penn State University in June of 1990.
Current COP/C members are listed below.
- Robert J. Jones, Chancellor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Michael McRobbie, President, Indiana University
- Bruce Harreld, President, University of Iowa
- Wallace D. Loh, President, University of Maryland
- Mark S. Schlissel, President, University of Michigan
- Lou Anna K. Simon, President, Michigan State University
- Eric Kaler, President, University of Minnesota
- Ronnie Green, Chancellor, University of Nebraska
- Morton Schapiro, President, Northwestern University
- Michael V. Drake, President, Ohio State University
- Eric J. Barron, President, Penn State University
- Mitch Daniels, President, Purdue University
- Robert Barchi, President, Rutgers University
- Rebecca M. Blank, Chancellor, University of Wisconsin