March 10, 2012
Box Score |
Michigan State Notes
- Michigan State, which snapped a six-game losing streak in the semifinals, earned its first title game berth since 2000 and third overall. MSU is 3-6 in the semifinals and 17-12 overall in the Big Ten Tournament.
- The Spartans improved to 6-2 as a No. 1 seed and 4-1 vs. No. 4 seeds. No. 1 seeds have won eight straight tournament games and reached the finals in eight of the last nine Big Ten Tournaments.
- MSU is 3-3 vs. Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament and 3-0 against the Badgers this season, becoming just the second team to go 3-0 vs. UW under head coach Bo Ryan (Illinois, 2004-05).
- Michigan State, which trailed 20-9 at one point, matched the largest deficit (11) it has overcome in a win this year. The Spartans also came back from 11 down vs. Central Connecticut (12/7/11).
- After starting the game 2-of-11 from the field, MSU hit 10 consecutive field goals over the next 10 minutes (13:32 to 3:35) and connected on 13 of its final 15 attempts to shoot 57.7 percent (15-of-26) in the first stanza.
- MSU held the Badgers to no field goals and just five points over the final 10:13 of the first half, outscoring Wisconsin 26-5 over that span and taking a 35-25 lead into halftime.
- The Spartans are 22-1 when leading at the half this season.
- Michigan State shot 6-of-9 (.667) from three-point range and matched the best three-point field goal percentage in a Big Ten Tournament game. Northwestern turned in the same mark against the Spartans on 3/5/99.
- Austin Thornton was a perfect 4-of-4 from distance, marking a career high for three-pointers.
- Draymond Green turned in his Big Ten leading 19th double-double with 14 points and 16 rebounds, which tied the sixth-most rebounds all-time and broke his previous record for most rebounds (14) by a Spartan in a Big Ten Tournament game.
- Green is now second on the MSU all-time rebounding list with 1,046 boards and tied for second with Scott Skiles for the most steals in Spartan history with 175.
- Wisconsin is 2-5 as the No. 4 seed, 4-3 in the semifinals, and 15-13 in the Big Ten Tournament.
- Wisconsin is 3-3 against Michigan State in the Big Ten Tournament.
- Wisconsin started the game on a 9-0 run. The run ended at the 15:43 mark in the first half.
- Wisconsin is 3-7 when trailing at halftime this season.
- Wisconsin's seven 3-point field-goals gives them 251 3-point field-goals on the year, which gives them the second most 3-point field-goals made in a season in program history.
- Wisconsin has amassed 116 blocks this season to place them in a tie with the 2006-07 team for the fourth-most blocks in a season.
- Jordan Taylor appeared in his 133rd game, which places him in a tie with Michael Flowers for the fourth-most games played by a Badger.
- Taylor's 368 career free throws made places him seventh on the all-time list for free throws made. Devin Harris previously was seventh on the list with 362 free throws made.
- Taylor and Ryan Evans combined to score 37 of Wisconsin's 52 points. Taylor had 19 points and Evans had 18 points.