March 11, 2011
Box Score |
- This marks the sixth overtime game in Big Ten Tournament history, the first involving Northwestern and the second involving Ohio State. Prior to last season, the lower seed had won the first four. #1 seed Ohio State def. #5 Illinois 88-81 in 20T in the 2010 semifinal, thus the Buckeyes win today makes the higher seed 2-4 in Big Ten Tournament overtime games.
- Thad Matta has the highest winning percentage of any head coach in the Big Ten Tournament (12-4, .750)
- With the win, an Ohio State team has won 30 games for the second time in school history (won 35 in 2006-07)
- Ohio State has won 11 of its last 14 games in the Big Ten Tournament, dating back to 2006. The Buckeyes have reached the finals in four of the past five tournaments, winning two of them.
- OSU is 34-9 in the month of March under Thad Matta.
- The Buckeyes won their 15th Big Ten Tournament, second most by any team at the Big Ten Tournament.
- Ohio State has won 15 of the last 16 meetings against Northwestern.
- Jared Sullinger's 16 free throws are the most in a Big Ten Tournament game (previous record was 12 by five players, including Ohio State's Brian Brown). His 18 free-throw attempts are also a Big Ten Tournament single-game record (previous record was 17 by four players).
- Sullinger's 16 free throws made are also tied for the third most in a game in Ohio State history. He continues as the Buckeye's all-time freshman leader in free throws made, now with 167.
- Jon Diebler tied Jamar Butler for second on Ohio State's games played list with 139. Dallas Lauderdale tied Jerry Francis for fourth on that list, playing in his 133rd game.
- Sullinger became Ohio State's all-time freshman rebound leader, passing both Herb Williams (308) and Greg Oden (306), now with 320 for the season.
- Sullinger posted his 17th double-digit rebound game, 29th double-digit scoring game and 16th double-double of the season.
- Sullinger's 18 rebounds were one off his career best of 19, set vs. South Carolina (12/18/10) and the second most in a Big Ten Tournament game (record of 19 is held by Greg Oden, Ohio State vs. Purdue on 3/10/07).
- Ohio State led at half for the 25th time in 32 games this season. The Buckeyes are 24-1 when leading at the half.
- The seven turnovers were the fewest by an Ohio State team in a Big Ten Tournament game, while the teams combined for 12 turnovers, the fewest combined in a Big Ten Tournament game.
- Aaron Craft's 17 points were two off a career high (19 vs. Penn State, 1/15/11) and his six field goals made were one off a career high (7 vs. Penn State, 1/15/11).
- Ohio State had its best team rebound margin against a Big Ten opponent this year, out-rebounding the Wildcats 48-27 (previous best was +14 vs. Purdue.) This is the seventh time this season that Ohio State has out-rebounded an opponent by double digits and the third time the Buckeyes have out-rebounded an opponent by as least 20 (+38 vs. North Carolina A&T and +21 vs. UT-Martin).
- Northwestern is 6-14 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament.
- The Wildcats are 0-2 in overtime games this season and this was the first time Northwestern has played in an overtime game in the Big Ten Tournament.
- Michael Thompson tied Tyler Newbold (Utah State) for second on the longest active string of consecutive starts list (126).
- Michael Thompson on Northwestern's single tournament Big Ten Tournament record lists:
- Passed Evan Eschmeyer for first on points scored (50).
- Passed Evan Eschmeyer for first on field goals made (16).
- Passed Mohamed Hachad for first on field goals attempted (34).
- Tied his own record set in 2010 for first on 3-pointers attempted (16).
- Passed Evan Eschmeyer for first on free throws made (12).
- Michael Thompson on Northwestern's Big Ten Tournament Career record lists (in 6 games):
- Passed Mohamed Hachad for first on points scored (99).
- Passed Mohamed Hachad for first on field goals made (33).
- Moved into second on field goals attempted (72).
- Passed Craig Moore for first on 3-pointers made list (14).
- Moved into second on 3-pointers attempted (33).
- Michael Thompson moved into a five-way tie for first on the Big Ten's single tournament free-throw percentage list (12-12, 1.000).
- John Shurna scored 20 or more points for the 11th time this season and his 23 points is a career-high in the Big Ten Tournament.
- Drew Crawford recorded his first career double-double (12 points, 10 rebounds).
- Northwestern held Ohio State to its lowest field goal percentage this season (.322).
- Northwestern's five turnovers are tied for second on the Big Ten Tournament single game turnovers list (5) and the fewest by the Wildcats in a Big Ten Tournament game.