Horner's huge second-half lifts Iowa to Big Ten Tournament title

March 12, 2006

Box Score |  Quotes |  Notes |  Photo Gallery

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Jeff Horner scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half and added 10 assists as No. 20 Iowa beat No. 7 Ohio State 67-60 Sunday in the Big Ten tournament championship game.

Adam Haluska added 15 points and eight rebounds for the Hawkeyes (25-8), who won their first conference tournament since 2001.

Jamar Butler had 19 points and J.J. Sullinger added 15 for the top-seeded Buckeyes (25-5), who fell short in their quest to win both the regular season and tournament titles.

Iowa extended its winning streak to five games and ended Ohio State's winning streak at seven.

Ohio State's Terence Dials, the conference player of the year, had 10 points and nine rebounds despite playing only 22 minutes because of foul trouble.

Dials went out with his fourth foul with 5:24 left and Ohio State leading 57-55. The Buckeyes led the entire second half until Greg Brunner scored after rebounding two of his misses to tie the game at 57. The Hawkeyes took the lead on a layup by Horner, then Alex Thompson hit a 3-pointer with 2:56 left to give Iowa a 62-57 lead.

Horner scored on a short jumper with 2:02 left to give Iowa a 64-57 lead. Ohio State scored only one more basket, a three-point play by Dials.

Dials picked up his second foul with 12:17 left in the first half and Ohio State leading 14-12. Two 3-pointers by Je'Kel Foster helped the Buckeyes extend their lead to 22-15. Iowa responded with a 10-5 run that included seven points by Brunner.

Butler scored six points in a 7-0 run that gave the Buckeyes a 34-25 lead and forced an Iowa timeout. Iowa bounced back with a 6-0 run to cut its deficit to 34-31 with 2:13 left in the half.

Horner, who averaged 20 points in his first two tournament games, didn't score until he hit a runner with 4 seconds left in the first half that cut Ohio State's lead to 37-34.

The Buckeyes made four 3-pointers in the first half, allowing coach Thad Matta to keep Dials on the bench until the start of the second half. Dials played only eight minutes in the first half.