March 13, 2014
Box Score |
- Senior guard Austin Hollins set the school record for career appearances for Minnesota Thursday night, making his 135th appearance. He was previously tied for the school record with Rodney Williams.
- Hollins (18 points) has scored in double figures 22 times this season. He is the leading scorer for the 22nd time this year.
- The Gophers opened the game on a 9-0 run over the first 3:19 of the game.
- Minnesota never trailed in the game and led by as many as 14 points.
- Minnesota is 3-0 against Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament (2002, 2010).
- The Gophers are 14-6 when leading at halftime.
- It is the 12th time this season that junior center Elliott Eliason has led the team in rebounds (six rebounds).
- Junior guard DeAndre Mathieu has scored in double figures 20 times this season (13 tonight).
- Minnesota improves to 7-3 in games decided by 6-10 points.
- The Golden Gophers are now 3-0 against Penn State this year, winning 81-63 in the regular-season finale, and winning 68-65 at Penn State.
- Minnesota has won four consecutive games in the series.
- Junior guard D.J. Newbill finished with 16 points. He has hit double digits in 29 of 32 games played this season. Eleven of his 16 points came in the second half. He was 7-of-22 from the field, the third time in the last four games he has put up 20 or more field goal attempts.
- Newbill added a team-best seven rebounds, the sixth time this year he has led PSU on the boards.
- Senior guard Tim Frazier set a new career mark with two blocked shots. He finished with 11 points, with eight of those coming in the first half.
- Frazier also added five assists, giving him five or more in 22 games this season.
- The Nittany Lions connected on 13 of 14 free throw attempts, a season-best 92.9 percent. That percentage ranks third on the Big Ten Tournament single-game list.
- Penn State was 2-of-18 from the field through the first 10 minutes of the game, but finished the half on an 8-of-13 shooting clip.
- Four of Penn State's five three-point baskets came in the second half as it was just 1-for-9 from three point range in first half.
- The Nittany Lions won the battle of the boards, 41-33. It is just the fifth time in 15 games this year they have lost when out-rebounding an opponent.
- Eight of nine Nittany Lions who saw game action put points on the board.