March 14, 2013
Box Score |
- Senior guard Brandon Paul led all scorers with 25 points. Paul has scored 20 or more points in 24 career games, including 11 this season. His 10 made field goals tied a season best.
- Senior guard D.J. Richardson made two 3-pointers to extend his career-long active streak of 38 consecutive games with at least one 3-pointer, the longest active streak by a player from a BCS conference.
- Illinois won for only the second time this season when shooting under 35 percent from the field (Norfolk State, Dec. 11). The Illini shot 32.1 percent for the game (18-56).
- The Illini held Minnesota to 16 first-half points, a season low.
- The Illini held an opponent to under 50 points for only the second time this season (Northwestern - 41, Feb. 17).
- Illinois scored 21 points off of 19 Minnesota turnovers.
- Illinois has the most all-time wins in the Big Ten tournament with 24. The Illini own the second-best all-time tournament winning percentage at 64.9 percent (24-13).
- Illinois is 16-5 (76.2 percent) in Big Ten tournament games at the United Center.
- The Illini are 4-1 on the first day of the tournament.
- Illinois posted its sixth win against an RPI Top 25 opponent this season. Only Indiana (eight) and Duke (seven) have more wins this season against the RPI Top 25.
- Trailing 7-2 at the 16:32 mark of the first half, Illinois used a 19-2 run over 11:56 of play to take a 21-9 lead.
- The Gophers are 11-13 in the Big Ten Tournament. Head coach Tubby Smith is 5-8 all time vs. Illinois and 7-6 in Big Ten Tournament games.
- Today marked the first time this season Minnesota lost when leading with five minutes remaining (16-1). They are 4-4 in games decided by five points or fewer in 2012-13.
- Beginning with the 2:45 mark in the first half an carrying over into the second half of play, the Gophers rattled off a 27-11 run to take a 38-34 lead with 10:04 remaining. That included a 22-9 run to open the second half of play.
- Sophomore guard Andre Hollins finished with 13 points, including a perfect 2-for-2 at the free throw line. He is shooting 80.3 percent (102-127) at the free throw line this year.
- Andre Hollins also led the Gophers with eight rebounds, tying his career high.
- Junior guard Austin Hollins led the team in scoring with 16 points. He was 4-of-5 from the field and a perfect 5-for-5 at the free throw line. He also added six rebounds, just one off his career best.
- Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins combined for 22 of Minnesota's first 29 points.
- The Gophers had six assists on their six field goals in the first half. They finished with 13 assists on 16 buckets.
- After playing just seven minutes in the first half due to foul trouble and putting up no shot attempts, senior forward Trevor Mbakwe was 3-for-4 with eight points in the second half. He also tallied seven rebounds, five of which came in the second half. Mbakwe played all 20 minutes in the second half.
- It is the first time this season Minnesota has lost when holding an opponent to under 35 percent shooting from the field (6-1).