March 16, 2013
Box Score |
- Attendance for session five of the 2013 Big Ten Tournament was a sellout at 21,824 (United Center capacity-19,087).
- Session 1 - 19,470; Session 2 - 19,667; Session 3 - 21,793; Session 4 - 21,229; Session 5 - 21,824
- That is the third-best session five attendance in tournament history.
- Junior guard Aaron Craft led all scorers with 20 points. Craft scored 20 points against the Spartans for the second-consecutive game. He has three 20-point games in his career. He totaled a season best nine assists, the most by a Buckeye in a Big Ten Tournament game.
- Craft and sophomore guard Shannon Scott combined for 14 assists, six steals and only three turnovers.
- Ohio State is 21-9 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament. The Buckeyes have advanced to seven of the last eight tournament finals and have won 17 of their last 21 games in the tournament overall. The Buckeyes are 3-2 against the Spartans in the Big Ten Tournament.
- Head coach Thad Matta owns the best Big Ten Tournament winning percentage (.783) and the second-most tournament wins (18) of any conference coach in history.
- Matta has compiled a record of 49-12 as a head coach in March, the fourth-best record by percentage (.803) among active coaches. He has won 25 or more games in six of his nine seasons at Ohio State and in 9 of his 13 seasons as head coach. Matta coached teams have never failed to reach the 20-win plateau.
- In the first half, Ohio State had an assist on each of its 11 made field goals.
- OSU owned a 15-6 advantage in bench points. The Buckeyes have a 587-379 edge over opposing benches in points scored this season.
- Michigan State shot 40 percent for the game (20-50). The Buckeyes have held opposing teams under 50 percent shooting in 29 of 32 games.
- The Buckeyes outscored Michigan State 11-0 on the fast break.
- Ohio State owns four wins against AP top-10 teams this season.
- Ohio State finished with just five turnovers, resulting in zero points for the Spartans.
- Senior forward Derrick Nix led the Spartans with 17 points going 6-for-8 (75.0 percent), and finishing in double figures for second time in last three games.
- Junior guard Keith Appling finished with with 16 points. He passed Goran Suton for 38th on the Spartans' career scoring list with 1,085 career points.
- Appling averaged 14.5 points per game in this year's tournament, his 16 points today was a career best in his eight Big Ten Tournament games.
- Appling's 17 field goal attempts ties his career high. His four three-point baskets today is a season high and his seven three-point attempts tied his career high.
- Michigan State had back-to-back games decided by five points or less for the fourth time this season. They are 9-5 in those games.
- Junior forward Adreian Payne finished with 12 points, including a perfect 5-for-5 night at the free throw line.
- Michigan State is 2-3 vs. Buckeyes in the Big Ten Tournament and 5-6 this season vs. AP top-25 teams.
- The Spartans finished 12-for-15 (80.0 percent) at the free throw line, shooting 80 percent or better from the free throw line for the seventh time this year, and fifth versus Big Ten opposition.
- Michigan State won the battle of the boards, 37-32, the 29th time this season they have won that stat. They are 22-7 in those games.