March 16, 2014
SESSION 5 NOTES
- Attendance is 18,626 (updated from earlier-sellout).
- On Sunday, Michigan and Michigan State will meet in the Big Ten Tournament for the first time.
- Michigan State is 4-3 all-time against Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament, including 4-2 in the semifinals.
- Michigan State is 21-13 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament, and 4-7 in semifinal contests.
- Senior F Adreian Payne finished the game with 18 points, with 12 coming in the first half. Payne has scored in double figures in 9-of-11 games since returning from injury.
- Sophomore G Denzel Valentine contributed 12 points, with 11 coming in the first half. Valentine was a perfect 3-3 from three-point range in the first half.
- Junior G/F Branden Dawson recorded 14 points, while tying Valentine for the team lead with seven rebounds.
- Senior G Keith Appling reached double figures with 10 points. Michigan State is now 10-0 when four players score 10 or more points.
- Sophomore G Gary Harris added 12 points. He has scored in double figures in 28 of 30 games this season.
- All five Michigan State starters scored 10 or more points. Michigan State is now 3-0 when five players score in double figures.
- Junior G Travis Trice came off the bench to contribute 11 points and four assists. It marks the second time this year six Spartans recorded 10+ points.
- Michigan State never trailed in the game.
- The Spartans outrebounded Wisconsin, 32-28, and improved to 19-5 when doing so.
- Michigan State owns a 17-4 record when leading at the half.
- Four Wisconsin starters scored 10 or more points against Michigan State.
- Senior G Ben Brust finished with 11 points. He was 3-of-5 from the three-point arc, setting a new Wisconsin single-season record with 81. That tops his old record of 79 set last season.
- Junior F Frank Kaminsky led the Badgers in scoring with 28. He scored just 10 points in the meeting with Michigan State earlier this season.
- Kaminsky topped the 20-point mark for the sixth time in his career. All six 20-point games have come this season. In his last four games he is averaging 17.5 points per game.
- Down 21 in the first half (37-16), Wisconsin cut the deficit to seven points at 70-63 with just under six minutes to play.
- The Badgers finished with just six turnovers, the eighth time in the last nine games they have limited their turnovers to single digits.
- This is just the third time this year Wisconsin has allowed 80 or more points in a game (1-2)