Big Ten Men's Basketball Weekly Release
Feb. 13, 2017
Weekly Release #15
• Maryland, Purdue and Wisconsin have all reached the 20-win plateau. The Terrapins and Badgers have tallied 21 wins apiece while the Boilermakers hit 20 wins last Thursday.
• Maryland's Melo Trimble, Purdue's Caleb Swanigan and Wisconsin's Ethan Happ are among the top 30 players in consideration for the 2017 James A. Naismith Trophy, presented to the nation's most outstanding men's college basketball player. In addition, the trio was named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20. The award is given annually to the nation's best player.
• Purdue and Minnesota are each riding three game win streaks into this week's games.
• Through games of Feb. 12, 12 Big Ten teams are rated among the top 100 of the NCAA RPI, including four top-25 teams and six among the top 50: No. 19 Purdue, No. 22 Maryland, No. 23 Wisconsin, No. 24 Minnesota, No. 33 Northwestern and No. 41 Michigan State.
• Michigan's Moritz Wagner and Purdue's Caleb Swanigan earned CoSIDA Academic All-District recognition. Both are eligible for Academic All-America honors, with each looking to garner an Academic All-America nod for the first time in their respective careers.
• For the first time since the 2013-14 season, each Big Ten program has posted at least one conference road win.
• By record, Minnesota is the most improved team in the NCAA so far this season. With 18 wins, the Golden Gophers have already tallied 10 more wins than they did a year ago.
• The Wolverines' Derrick Walton Jr., is two rebounds away from being the first Michigan player to have 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 400 assists.
• Purdue's Caleb Swanigan notched his nation-leading, 21st double-double last Thursday. He has recorded a double-double in seven straight games, tied for the fifth longest double-double streak in Boilermaker history.
• The Minnesota Golden Gophers rank second nationally in total blocks, swatting away 167 shots so far this season.
• Northwestern's Bryant McIntosh became the second ever player in Wildcat history to reach 500 career assists. His total of 503 career assists is just 25 away from tying the school record.
• Three Big Ten programs are ranked among the top 25 in both the AP and USA Today Coaches Polls. Wisconsin is ranked 11th in the AP poll and 10th in USA Today poll. Purdue checks in at 16th in both polls and Maryland comes in at No. 23 in the AP poll and No. 24 in the USA Today poll. Northwestern is receiving votes in both polls.