Dec. 2, 2012
2012 BIG TEN FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012 Lucas Oil Stadium • Indianapolis, Ind.
- Junior quarterback Taylor Martinez moves to third on Nebraska’s single-season passing yards list (2,667), putting up 184 yards tonight .
- Martinez’s 76-yard touchdown run in the first quarter marked his third TD run of 70 or more yards this year (92 vs. UCLA; 71 vs. Michigan State).
- With two rushing touchdowns tonight, Martinez moved into a tie for first on the Cornhuskers’ single season touchdown list with 31 (Eric Crouch-2000).
- With 140 yards on 19 carries tonight, Martinez moved into the Nebraska all-time top-10 in career rushing yards with 2,812 (ninth). He also moved to eighth on the career rushing touchdowns list with 31.
- Martinez made his 38th start at quarterback tonight, tying Eric Crouch (1998-2001) for most career starts by a QB.
- Senior placekicker Brett Maher hit a 32-yard field goal in the first quarter, tying for second on the Nebraska single-season list (19).
- Nebraska is 4-3 this season when losing the turnover battle (-3 tonight)
- The Badgers’ 42 first-half points is the most given up by the Cornhuskers this season.
- The 539 yards rushing is the most ever allowed by a Nebraska team.
- Wisconsin is the first Big Ten school to play in three consecutive Rose Bowl games since Michigan (1977-79).
- The Badgers are 9-0 in games played in Indiana under head coach Bret Bielema.
- Wisconsin finished with eight rushing touchdowns tonight, a new school record.
- Senior running back Montee Ball’s 16-yard second quarter touchdown run set a new NCAA record for career rushing TDs with 74. He added two more to end the day at 76.
- With three touchdowns tonight, Ball tied the NCAA record for career multiple TD games with 25. It is the 15th time Ball has scored at least three TDs in a game.
- Ball finished the day with 202 yards, his 4th career 200+-yard rushing game and his second this season (Purdue).
- Redshirt freshman running back Melvin Gordon had a career-long 56-yard touchdown run to give the Badgers a 7-0 lead at 13:01 in the first quarter. He added a 60-yard run in the second quarter.
- Gordon finished the game with a career-best 216 yards on nine carries (24.0 ypc).
- Junior running back James White finished with four touchdowns (all rush), his fourth multiple-TD game this season and the 10th of his career. It is the second time he has run for four TDs (Austin Peay-2010).
- Wisconsin had three running backs go over 100 yards in a game for the first time in school history (Ball 21-202; White 15-109; Gordon 9-216). It is the first time in school history UW has had two 200-yard rushers.
- Senior cornerback Marcus Cromartie returned an interception for a touchdown in the first quarter for his first career INT. It was the first interception returned for a touchdown by the Badgers since Aaron Henry vs. Northwestern on Nov. 27, 2010 and the first defensive touchdown for UW this season.
- Senior cornerback Devin Smith tallied his fourth interception of the season with a pick in the third quarter.
- Junior linebacker Chris Borland’s forced fumble in the second quarter was the 13th of his career, tying him with Purdue’s Ryan Kerrigan for the Big Ten career record.
- The Badgers finished with 42 points in the first half, the most in a half since 49 vs. Northwestern in 2010.
- The Badgers’ 70 points is a new Big Ten Championship Game record, topping their mark of 42 set last year.
- It is the most points scored by Wisconsin this year and the second time they have topped the 60-point mark (62-at Indiana).