• The third annual “Super Saturday - College Hoops & Hockey” doubleheader is slated for this Saturday at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Following the men’s basketball game between Ohio State and Minnesota at noon ET, Michigan State will face No. 13/14 Minnesota on the ice at 8 p.m. BTN will provide live coverage of both contests, which will also be available on BTN2Go. The Gophers and Spartans will open their weekend series on Thursday night in East Lansing, Mich.
• Tickets are on sale for the Super Saturday doubleheader and can be purchased through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.com), by calling (866) 858-0008 or at MSG.com.
• Six teams take this ice this week in a trio of conference series, highlighted by a pair of top-20 matchups. Two contests will be played in National Hockey League arenas this weekend, as the Spartans will face the Gophers at Madison Square Garden on Saturday and Notre Dame will take on Wisconsin at the United Center in Chicago on Sunday.
• Six Big Ten teams appear in the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Notre Dame paces conference teams at No. 1 in both polls. Ohio State follows at No. 6/6, Penn State checks in at No. 12/12, Minnesota comes in at No. 13/14, Wisconsin is No. 18 in the USCHO.com poll, while Michigan is No. 20 in the USCHO.com poll and is receiving votes in the coaches rankings.
• Since the 2013-14 season, five Big Ten schools (Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Penn State and Wisconsin) have been ranked in the top five of both the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Those five teams have combined to be ranked in the top five of both polls a total of 80 times, with at least one top-five team in 60 out of 115 weeks.
• Following a weekend sweep of Michigan to open 2018, Notre Dame is 12-0-0-0 in conference action, making it the first Big Ten team ever to go undefeated through 12 conference games. The Fighting Irish are currently riding the longest unbeaten streak in the nation at 15 games, going 15-0-0 over that stretch.
• Three alums from current Big Ten schools have been named to the U.S. roster for the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games: Chad Kolarik from Michigan, Jim Slater from Michigan State and Ryan Stoa from Minnesota. In addition, a trio of current and former Badgers will head Team USA’s management and coaching staff. Wisconsin head coach Tony Granato will serve as head coach of Team USA, former UW defenseman, NHL award-winner and Hockey Hall of Famer Chris Chelios heads a group of assistants and Jim Johannson, who played with Granato at Wisconsin as well as on the American squad that competed in the ‘88 Games in Calgary, is the general manager. The men’s hockey tournament will begin on Feb. 14 with the gold medal game scheduled for Feb. 25.
• The Canadian Olympic team will also feature a trio of standouts from current Big Ten schools, as Michigan’s Andrew Ebbett and Wisconsin’s Rene Bourque and Cody Goloubef will represent Canada in PyeongChang.
• Big Ten teams currently occupy four of the top 15 positions on the national team scoring list. Penn State leads the nation with 4.00 goals per game, followed by Michigan in 11th (3.32), Notre Dame in 14th (3.23) and Wisconsin in 15th with 3.16 goals per contest.