ROSEMONT, Ill. - Three Big Ten goalies were named to the Mike Richter Award watch list, Let’s Play Hockey and the Herb Brooks Foundation announced on Thursday. This year’s honoree will be announced at the 2018 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four in St. Paul, Minn.
Minnesota’s Eric Schierhorn, Penn State’s Peyton Jones and Wisconsin’s Kyle Hayton each earned recognition for the award, which annually honors the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA Division I men’s hockey. Hayton was named a finalist for the award in 2015.
Candidates for the Mike Richter Award, whose namesake spent two seasons at the University of Wisconsin before going on to play 15 NHL seasons with the New York Rangers, will be determined by nominations from all 60 NCAA Division I men’s hockey head coaches. The semifinalists, finalists and winner are selected by a committee of coaches, scouts and members of the media.
Criteria for the Mike Richter Award:
- Candidates must display outstanding skills on the ice
- Candidates should be in good academic standing at an NCAA college or university
- Consideration should be given to academic achievement and sportsmanship
- Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; be full-time students at an NCAA college or university; and complete 50 percent or more of the season
- Consideration should be given to the candidate’s activities in the community