• All seven schools will be in action this weekend, including one conference series. No. 8/8 Notre Dame opens the weekend slate by hosting Nebraska Omaha in a Thursday-Friday series. Michigan will open conference play this weekend, hitting the road to take on 2017 Big Ten Tournament Champion No. 15/15 Penn State for a Friday-Saturday series. No. 7/7 Minnesota hosts a top-10 Friday-Saturday home series against No. 9/8 Clarkson, Michigan State welcomes Lake Superior State and No. 5/5 Wisconsin hosts St. Lawrence for a Friday-Saturday series. Ohio State will face Robert Morris in a home-and-home series, with the Buckeyes hosting the Colonials on Friday before visiting them on Saturday.
• Four Big Ten teams appear in the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls, while six teams are receiving votes. Wisconsin paces conference teams at No. 5 in both rankings. Minnesota follows at No. 7/7, Notre Dame checks in at No. 8/8, while Penn State is No. 15 in both polls. Ohio State is receiving votes in both polls, while Michigan garnered votes in the USCHO.com rankings.
• Since the 2013-14 season, five Big Ten schools (Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Penn State and Wisconsin) have been ranked in the top five of both the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Those five teams have combined to be ranked in the top five of both polls a total of 70 times, with at least one top-five team in 50 out of 105 weeks. During that span, the Gophers have earned a spot in the top five of both polls 41 times.
• Michigan and Ohio State currently rank in the top five nationally in scoring defense. The Buckeyes rank second nationally and pace all Big Ten teams by allowing just 1.33 goals per game, while the Wolverines check in at No. 4 with at 1.75.
• Big Ten teams currently occupy three of the top 15 positions on the national team scoring list. Wisconsin ranks sixth nationally with 3.57 goals per game, followed by Notre Dame and Penn State tied for 11th with 3.33 goals per contest.
• Penn State’s Denis Smirnov paces all conference players and checks in at No. 3 nationally with 10 points through six games. Smirnov also leads the country in game-winning goals, netting three so far this season.
• A pair of Big Ten goalies are ranked among the top eight netminders in the nation this season in terms of save percentage. Michigan’s Jack LaFontaine leads the conference and ranks third in the country with a .950 save percentage, while Ohio State junior Sean Romeo follows in eighth at .943.
• Notre Dame’s Andrew Oglevie, Ohio State’s Mason Jobst, Penn State’s Denis Smirnov and Wisconsin’s Trent Frederic lead the Big Ten in goal scoring with four goals apiece.
• Tickets are on sale for the third annual “Super Saturday – College Hoops & Hockey” doubleheader, which will feature Ohio State taking on Minnesota in men’s basketball and Michigan State facing the Gophers in hockey at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018. The men’s basketball contest will tip off at Noon ET, and the hockey game will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.com), by calling (866) 858-0008 or at MSG.com.