• All seven schools will be in action this weekend, including a trio of conference series and a non-conference road series. Michigan State opens the weekend slate by hosting No. 7/10 Wisconsin in a Friday-Saturday series. No. 4/2 Minnesota will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., to take on Michigan, while No. 19/- Penn State heads to South Bend, Ind., for a conference series against No. 6/6 Notre Dame. No. 17/- Ohio State rounds out the weekend with a Friday-Saturday road series at UConn.
• Five Big Ten teams appear in the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Minnesota paces conference teams at No. 4 in the USCHO.com poll and No. 2 in the coaches rankings. Notre Dame follows at No. 6/6, Wisconsin checks in at No. 7/10, while Ohio State and Penn State are No. 17 and No. 19 in the USCHO.com poll, respectively, and are both receiving votes the coaches poll. Michigan is receiving votes in both polls.
• Since the 2013-14 season, five Big Ten schools (Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Penn State and Wisconsin) have been ranked in the top five of both the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Those five teams have combined to be ranked in the top five of both polls a total of 72 times, with at least one top-five team in 52 out of 107 weeks. During that span, the Gophers have earned a spot in the top five of both polls 43 times.
• Minnesota goaltender Eric Schierhorn made his 85th-straight start on Saturday - the most consecutive starts among all active NCAA goaltenders and seventh all-time in NCAA history. The two-time Big Ten Goaltender of the Year leads the conference and ranks ninth nationally in both save percentage (.933) and goals-against average (1.80).
• Notre Dame’s Jake Evans paces the nation and all conference players with 18 points through 10 games. Evans also leads the country in assists (14) and faceoffs won (147).
• Penn State’s Denis Smirnov and Wisconsin’s Seamus Malone lead the nation and the conference in game-winning goals with three each.
• Big Ten teams currently occupy four of the top 15 positions on the national team scoring list. Penn State ranks seventh nationally with 3.80 goals per game, followed by Notre Dame in ninth (3.60), Michigan in 10th (3.50) and Wisconsin in 14th with 3.27 goals per contest.
• Penn State’s Andrew Sturtz leads the Big Ten in goal scoring with six goals in nine games. Sturtz also paces the conference in shorthanded goals with two.
• Three active Big Ten coaches have amassed at least 200 wins in their careers, led by two who have more than 400 career victories. Minnesota’s Don Lucia is the conference’s active wins leader with 724 victories. He is followed by Notre Dame’s Jeff Jackson (456) and Penn State’s Guy Gadowsky (263). Lucia currently ranks second among active Division I coaches in career victories, while Jackson ranks sixth.
• Tickets are on sale for the third annual “Super Saturday – College Hoops & Hockey” doubleheader, which will feature Ohio State taking on Minnesota in men’s basketball and Michigan State facing the Gophers in hockey at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018. The men’s basketball contest will tip off at Noon ET, and the hockey game will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.com), by calling (866) 858-0008 or at MSG.com.