• All seven schools will be in action this weekend, including one non-conference series and three conference series. No. 17/- Michigan will host No. 15/- Ohio State, while Michigan State visits Penn State. No. 6/6 Minnesota travels to No. 4/4 Notre Dame for a top-10 matchup to round out the weekend of Friday-Saturday conference series. No. 9/10 Wisconsin hosts Mercyhurst in the weekend’s lone non-conference matchup, with the games scheduled for Saturday and Sunday at the Kohl Center.
• Three Big Ten teams appear in the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Notre Dame paces conference teams at No. 4 in both the USCHO.com and the coaches rankings. Minnesota follows at No. 6/6, Wisconsin checks in at No. 9/10, while Ohio State and Michigan are No. 15 and No. 17 in the USCHO.com poll, respectively. Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State are all receiving votes the coaches poll.
• Since the 2013-14 season, five Big Ten schools (Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Penn State and Wisconsin) have been ranked in the top five of both the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. Those five teams have combined to be ranked in the top five of both polls a total of 74 times, with at least one top-five team in 54 out of 109 weeks. During that span, the Gophers have earned a spot in the top five of both polls 43 times.
• For the second consecutive week, Notre Dame goaltender Cale Morris was named the Big Ten’s First Star of the Week. The sophomore goaltender backstopped the Fighting Irish to a weekend sweep of RPI, making 63 saves for a .984 save percentage as Notre Dame extended its nation-leading winning streak to seven games. Morris is the second goalie in conference history to claim back-to-back First Star accolades and first since Michigan State’s Jake Hildebrand accomplished the feat on Jan. 27 and Feb. 3, 2015.
• Minnesota goaltender Eric Schierhorn made his 89th-straight start on Saturday - the most consecutive starts among all active NCAA goaltenders and seventh all-time in NCAA history. The two-time Big Ten Goaltender of the Year leads the conference in wins (9), minutes (848:27), saves (346) and shutouts (2).
• Notre Dame’s Jake Evans paces all conference players and ranks third nationally with 22 points through 14 games. Evans also leads the country in assists (17) and faceoffs won (208).
• Michigan’s Tony Calderone leads the Big Ten in goal scoring with 10 goals in 12 games, while Michigan State’s Mitchell Lewandowski follows closely with nine. Lewandowski also paces the conference in gamewinning goals with three.
• Big Ten teams currently occupy four of the top 15 positions on the national team scoring list. Michigan ranks third nationally with 3.83 goals per game, followed by Penn State in sixth (3.71), Wisconsin in ninth (3.53) and Notre Dame in 13th with 3.36 goals per contest.
• Notre Dame is 4-0-0-0 in conference action, making it the first Big Ten team ever to win its first four conference contests of the season. The Fighting Irish are the second team to go undefeated through four games and the first since Minnesota started 3-0-1-0 in 2013-14 as part of a 10-game unbeaten streak to open conference play (8-0-2-0).
• Three active Big Ten coaches have amassed at least 200 wins in their careers, led by two who have more than 400 career victories. Minnesota’s Don Lucia is the conference’s active wins leader with 726 victories. He is followed by Notre Dame’s Jeff Jackson (460) and Penn State’s Guy Gadowsky (265). Lucia currently ranks second among active Division I coaches in career victories, while Jackson ranks sixth.
• Tickets are on sale for the third annual “Super Saturday – College Hoops & Hockey” doubleheader, which will feature Ohio State taking on Minnesota in men’s basketball and Michigan State facing the Gophers in hockey at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018. The men’s basketball contest will tip off at Noon ET, and the hockey game will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.com), by calling (866) 858-0008 or at MSG.com.