Michigan Caps Opening Round of 2004 Tournament with 1-0 OT Win Over Ohio State

Nov. 11, 2004

Box Score |  Photo Gallery

ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN - With temperatures dropping in an already frigid Ann Arbor, Michigan, the final match of the first round of the 2004 Big Ten Men's Soccer Tournament went into overtime before it was decided. The seventh seed and host Michigan put the second seed Ohio State on ice; winning 1-0 in overtime here at the U-M Varsity Field on Thursday (Nov. 11).

Michigan advances to play Northwestern University after the Wildcats disposed of Penn State earlier in the day 1-0 in overtime. The semifinal match will begin at 2:30 pm ET on Friday (Nov. 12). For the season, the Wolverines improve to 10-6-4 on the year, while Ohio State drops their 2004 ledger to 10-6-2.

The low scoring that was experienced in the opening two games of the tournament (both 1-0 contests) continued as neither team was able to score in the first half of action. However, both teams took their chances early and often. The Wolverines took eight overall shots including two on goal, while the Buckeyes logged nine overall shots including four that were saved by U-M junior goalie Peter Dzubay.

Justin Cook continued to provide the attack for OSU. The reigning Big Ten Conference Offensive Player of the Week, Cook fired five shots in the opening half including three on the net. On defense, Buckeye's junior goalkeeper Ray Burse Jr. made two saves to keep the Maize and Blue off the board in the first.

The host Wolverine's came out firing early on and had a shot at a wide-open net less than a minute into the second half, but Buckeye net minder Burse Jr. made a leaping save to keep Michigan off the board.

The second half remained tight as both teams had scoring opportunities and took several shots at the net. The Wolverines took five shots in the second half while Ohio State logged seven. With less than two minutes remaining midfielder Knox Cameron received a pass in front of the net and was set up to score the go-ahead goal. However, the senior pushed the ball just wide of the net, sending the match into sudden-death overtime.



With 6:22 off the clock in the extra session, junior defender Ryan Sterba sent a crossing pass from the right side of the net to a waiting Cameron. The 2003 Big Ten Player of the Year sent a shot from wide of the near post into the far side of the net for the game winning goal. The tally was Cameron's first of the year after he missed most of the season with a knee injury.

The goal propelled the host Wolverines into Friday's semifinal confrontation with the Wildcats at 2:30 pm ET at Michigan's Varsity Soccer Field.