Ohio State 1, Northwestern 0

Nov. 10, 2005

Ohio State's Kevin Nugent scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season in the 30th minute to put Ohio State over host Northwestern in the third quarterfinal of the day on Friday.

The first 15 minutes of the game were back and forth as both teams created attacking chances through the midfield.  Northwestern had more quality chances initially, which were mostly created from long balls out of the back that ended up behind the Buckeye back line.  The Wildcats earned the first corner kick of the game in the 20th minute, but Eric Brin's header went just wide of the far post.

Northwestern goalkeeper Will Briley was called upon to knock away a save in the 23rd minute when a cross found its way into the box about 12 yards from his line.  Briley fully extended himself to punch the ball out of harm's way and keep the game scoreless.

Ohio State's most dangerous opportunity early in the game came from a Danny Irizarry shot 30 yards out that caught Briley slightly off his line, but hit the cross bar and was cleared out of the back. 

Ohio State's Kevin Nugent found the back of the net in the 30th minute.  A ball from Kyle Veris made its way into the box where Nugent was waiting and fired a shot that deflected off of a defender to catch Briley moving the other way and found the back of the net.

In second half action, the battle became heated.  Both teams racked up fouls as the defenses tightened up, and each team created chances from free kicks in their offensive end.  Thechances created in the flow of the game were mostly direct balls from the back to the forwards, and neither team was able to gain much possession.

Both teams had their chances in the back and forth action, but none were able to capitalize on balls sent into the box or through the backlines.  Briley and Ohio State's Ray Burse, Jr. both withstood the second half pressure for the 1-0 final score.

Ohio State will now face Indiana in Friday's second semifinal, set to begin at 2:15 p.m. at Northwestern.