March 1, 2012
Box Score |
- Michigan State is 14-16 in Big Ten Tournament games.
- Head coach Suzy Merchant has a record of 4-4 in Big Ten Tournament games. She is one of five active coaches with a record of .500 or better in tournament play.
- Michigan State's 97 points ranks tied for second on the Big Ten Tournament single-game list. It joins Illinois (98) and Penn State (97) as the only teams in tournament history to score 90 or more points in a game.
- It is the fifth time this year MSU has scored 80 or more points in a game, and the first time in Big Ten Tournament history that three teams have scored 80 or more points in the first round.
- Michigan State leads the all-time series with Indiana, 41-23, and is 2-0 against the Hoosiers in the Big Ten Tournament.
- The Spartans opened the first half with a 24-9 run and never trailed in the game.
- Michigan State is 16-0 all-time when senior guard Taylor Alton scores in double figures. She finished with 14 points tonight.
- Alton moved up to eighth on the MSU all-time three-point list with four tonight. She now has 114 for her career.
- Freshman guard Kiana Johnson averaged 8.0 assists per game vs. the Hoosiers this season, including five tonight.
- The Spartans have recorded 20 or more wins in nine-straight seasons.
- This was the first time MSU has played a first-round game since 2002.
- Michigan State has won at least one game in eight of the last nine Big Ten Tournaments.
- The Spartans are 51-4 under Merchant when scoring 70 or more points.
- Indiana is 14-17 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament
- Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack is 3-3 in Big Ten Tournament openers. IU is 10-8 overall in those games.
- Junior forward Aulani Sinclair tied her career high with two blocked shots, both of which came in the first half.
- Junior forward Sasha Chaplin extended her consecutive free throws streak to 30 before missing her second attempt at 17:02 in the first half.
- Chaplin finished with a team-best four steals, just one off her career high.
- Senior guard Alisha Goodwin led the team in scoring with 16 points, a season high and her second double-digit game this season.
- Freshman center Quaneisha McCurty finished with 15 points, her sixth double-digit game this season.
- Freshman guard Candyce Ussery tied her career high with 10 points.
- Indiana had three players score in double figures for the 10th time this season.
- After going 0-for-4 from the three-point line in the first half, the Hoosiers were 5-for-6 from behind the arc in the second half.
- Indiana shot 50 percent or better from the three-point line for the fourth time this season (5-for-10).