March 2, 2006
Box Score |
· Illinois improved to 10-11 in the Big Ten Tournament, while Northwestern fell to 3-12. The Illini advance to the quarterfinals for the eighth time.
· With Illinois' victory, No. 7 seeds are 10-2 against No. 10 seeds. A No. 10 seed has not defeated a No. 7 seed since the 2000 tournament when No. 10 Northwestern knocked off No. 7 Iowa, 68-59.
· Illinois upped its mark to 3-0 against the Wildcats this season. In fact, the Illini have won 15 straight games against the Wildcats dating back to Feb. 5, 1999. This season, Illinois defeated the Wildcats, 64-55, at home and picked up a 60-59 win at Northwestern. The Illini also have won 18 of their last 19 against Northwestern. The Wildcats still lead the all-time series at 31-25.
· Illinois improved to 3-0 all-time against the Wildcats in the Big Ten Tournament. It is the second straight season the two teams have met in the 7-10 game of the Big Ten Tournament. Illinois won 66-43 last season.
· Northwestern's Ifeoma Okonkwo finished 11-of-23 from the field against Illinois. The 23 field-goal attempts ties for fourth on the Big Ten Tournament single-game field-goals list. Jolene Anderson of Wisconsin was the last player to attempt more than 23 field goals with 27 chances on March 3, 2005.
· Northwestern's Ifeoma Oknokwo scored a game-high 26 points against Illinois. It was the second-most points by an individual against Illinois in the Big Ten Tournament. Purdue's Stephanie White-McCarty scored 31 on March 1, 1999 against the Illini.
· Illinois' Audrey Tabon pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds against Northwestern. The total was the third most by an Illini player in their Big Ten Tournament history. Last season, Tabon had 12 in the quarterfinals against Michigan State. The Illini tournament record is 13 by Susan Blauser on March 4, 2000 against Penn State.
· Illinois' Maggie Acuna had four steals in the victory over Northwestern. It marked the 10th time an Illini player has notched four or more swipes in a Big Ten Tournament game.
· With her first half three-pointer, Illinois' Lori Bjork moved into a tie for second on the Illinois freshman single-season three-point field goals made list. It was her 48th triple of the season, which ties Katie Coleman (1996-97) for second. Mandy Cunningham holds the record of 57 set during the 1990-91 season. The number also ties for fifth on the overall single-season three-point field goals made list.