March 3, 2011
Box Score |
- Head coach Joe McKeown picked up his first Big Ten Tournament win. He is now 1-2 in tournament play.
- Northwestern never trailed in the game.
- The Wildcats are now 4-11 in Big Ten Tournament first-round games
- Today's win snaps a 10-game tournament losing streak for the Wildcats. Prior to tonight, NU's last tournament win came in 2000 over Iowa.
- Senior Amy Jaeschke finished with 16 points. She has now scored in double figures in 46 straight games.
- Sophomore Kendall Hackney had 10 points in the first nine minutes of the game as NU built an 18-9 lead with 4:50 remaining.
- Hackney finished with 22 points. It is the third time this season she led the team in scoring and was just two points shy of matching her career high.
- The Wildcats held Minnesota to just three points over first 10:15 of the game.
- Northwestern held Minnesota to 16 points in the first half, the fourth time this year the Wildcats limited an opponent to under 20 points in a half (14 vs. Dartmouth; 19 vs. Toledo; 16 vs. Ohio State)
- After Minnesota tied the game at 20-20 with 17:19 to play, the Wildcats went on a 12-4 run to lead 32-24 with 10:50 remaining.
- Minnesota again came back to within one at 43-42, but the Wildcats finished out the game on a 10-2 run.
- It is the second time this year Northwestern has held an opponent under 45 points (37-Dartmouth).
- The win gives Northwestern its 18th victory of the season. The program has posted back-to-back 18-win seasons for the first time since the 1989-90 (27) and 1990-91 (21) seasons.
- The Golden Gophers held NU scoreless over the final 6:08 of the first half to come within two points at 18-16.
- Minnesota recorded 10 steals in the first half and finished with a season-high 14.
- Senior China Antoine had five of those steals, just one shy of her career high.
- Antoine's team-best 18 points marked her ninth double-digit scoring game this season. She played all 40 minutes tonight.
- It is the sixth time this year the Golden Gophers have held an opponent to 53 or fewer points.
- Freshman Katie Loberg led the team with nine rebounds, matching her season high. She has been Minnesota's top rebounder four times this season.
- Minnesota shot 80 percent (4-5) from the free throw line in the second half.
- Minnesota held a 10-2 advantage in bench scoring.
- Head coach Pam Borton is now 4-9 in the Big Ten Tournament
- Borton is 15-4 vs. Northwestern in her career.
- Minnesota is now 3-8 in first-round games.