March 4, 2011
Box Score |
- For the sixth and seventh times this year, Michigan State held a team under 20 points in a half, giving up just 14 to the Wildcats in the first half and 11 in the second. It marks the second and third times a team has scored fewer that 15 points in a half vs. the Spartans this year (Dartmouth-13).
- With three three-point baskets tonight, the Spartans reached 200 threes in a season for the first time in school history. Michigan State has put up 202 three-point buckets this season.
- The Spartans 56-25 victory marks its largest margin of victory in a Big Ten Tournament game (+31).
- Michigan State is 23-0 this season when leading at the half
- The Spartans held Northwestern scoreless for the first 4:17 of the first half and allowed just two Wildcat points over the first 6:07 of the second half.
- Michigan State will make its seventh appearance in the semifinals over the last eight seasons. The Spartans now have an all-time record of 9-5 in the quarterfinal round and an overall tournament record of 13-15.
- Head coach Suzy Merchant improves to .500 in Big Ten Tournament games with a record of 3-3. She is one of 14 coaches in Big Ten Tournament history with a career mark of .500 or better and one of five active coaches.
- The Spartans are now 72-8 under Merchant when holding their opponent to 60 points or less.
- Michigan State has held its opponents to a shooting percentage of 9.0 percent (5-55) from behind the three-point arc over the last five games. The Spartans did not allow a three-point basket tonight.
- Michigan State's 26 wins ranks second in school history, trailing only the 33 wins of the 2004-05 season.
- Junior Porsche Poole led the team in scoring tonight with 11 points. It is her second-straight double-digit scoring effort and marks the fifth time this season she has led the team in scoring.
- Tonight marked the second time in as many games the Wildcats held their opponent to under 23 points in the first half.
- The Wildcats had eight assists on 10 baskets.
- Sixty-four percent (16 of 25) of Northwestern's points tonight came in the paint.
- Senior Amy Jaeschke added to her school-record block total with two tonight. She now has 351 blocked shots for her career.
- Jaeschke finished with six points, snapping a string of 46-straight games in double figures.
- Tonight marked the first time over the last two seasons the Wildcats did not make a three-point shot. They finished 0-16 from beyond the arc.
- Head coach Joe McKeown is now 1-3 in tournament play. Northwestern has an all-time Big Ten Tournament record of 4-17.
- Northwestern's 25 points is the fewest ever scored in a Big Ten Tournament game.