March 5, 2011
Box Score |
- Penn State advances to the championship game for the seventh time in school history and first time since 2004. Penn State is 2-4 in championship games.
- Head coach Coquese Washington is 3-3 in Big Ten Tournament games and will be making her first trip to the championship game.
- Freshman guard Maggie Lucas' three-point basket at the 15:27 mark in the first half set the Big Ten single-season record for three-point baskets made. Her five threes today gives her 110 for the season, topping the old mark of 106 held by Ohio State's Caity Matter. She set the Penn State single-season record in the win over Purdue Friday.
- Lucas finished with 23 points to move to second on the Lady Lions' single-season freshman scoring list and is five points shy of the No. 1 spot.
- Lucas' five three-point baskets is tied for eighth on the Big Ten Tournament single-game list.
- Senior Julia Trogele's 12-for-12 performance at the free throw line ties the Big Ten Tournament free throw percentage record. Her 12 free throws made is tied for fourth on the single-game list.
- Trogele finished with a career-high 20 points.
- Penn State leads the overall series with Illinois, 27-14. They have won four straight against the Illini.
- Penn State is 4-2 against the Illini in Big Ten Tournament games.
- The Lady Lions have the top scoring offense in the tournament with a 75.0 ppg average.
- Penn State's opening basket marked the first time in the tournament the Illini had trailed in a game.
- This was a game of runs for the Lady Lions. Trailing 9-5 early in the first half, Penn State went on a 28-8 run to take a 33-17 with 4:41 to play. Down 39-38 early in the second half, PSU rattled off a 12-2 run and did not trail for the remainder of the contest.
- It is the 14th time this season the Lady Lions have gone to the free throw line 20 or more times in a game. They are averaging 29.0 trips per game to the charity stripe in the tournament and 23.0 made free throw shots per game.
- Illinois ended the first half on a 16-3 run with a three-point basket at the buzzer from freshman Amber Moore, cutting the deficit to two at 35-33. The Illini were 5-of-7 from the field over the final 4:22. Moore finished with 10 first-half points.
- Moore led the team in scoring with 19 points. It is the fourth time this year she has led the team in scoring.
- Junior Lydia McCully had a team-high seven assists and averaged 4.0 assists per game in the tournament.
- Sophomore Karisma Penn had 11 points and 10 rebounds for her 18th double-double of the year and second of the Big Ten Tournament.
- Penn also had five blocked shots, which is tied for fourth on the tournament's all-time single-game list.
- Sophomore Adrienne GodBold finished with 16 points, just two shy of her career best and her fourth double-digit effort over the last five games.
- Six different Illini scored in double figures over the course of the tournament. (Karisma Penn, Adrienne GodBold, Amber Moore, Centrese McGee, Lydia McCully, Lana Rukavina).