March 6, 2011
Box Score |
- Penn State is 2-5 in Big Ten Tournament championship games.
- Sophomore Mia Nickson led the Lady Lions with 17 points, shooting 50 percent (7-for-14) from the field. She was also a perfect 3-for-3 from the free throw line.
- Freshman Maggie Lucas set the Penn State single-season freshman scoring record with eight points today. She has 533 points on the season.
- Lucas, who set the Big Ten single-season three-point field goals made record in yesterday's win over Michigan State, was held without a three-point shot for just the second time this season.
- The Lady Lions scored 70 or more points in all three tournament games, averaging 74.0 points per game in tourney play.
- Sophomore Nikki Greene led the Lady Lions with nine rebounds tonight and averaged 8.6 rebounds per game in the tournament.
- Alex Bentley and Maggie Lucas were named to the All-Tournament team, the first Lady Lions to earn all-tournament honors since Kelly Mazzante and Jess Strom in 2004.
- Ohio State set a Big Ten Tournament championship game record with 84 points scored.
- Jim Foster improves to 4-1 in Big Ten Tournament title games. He is the first coach in conference history to win four tournament titles.
- It is the Buckeyes' 14the win in the last 16 meetings with Lady Lions.
- This is the second time in tournament history the No. 5 seed has defeated the No. 2 seed in the championship game (Indiana, 2002) and the third championship win for the No. 5 seed in tournament history.
- Ohio State is the second team in Big Ten history to win three-straight tournaments (Purdue: 1998-2000)
- Senior Jantel Lavender recorded her 133rd career double-digit scoring game with 23 points. She is now one game shy of tying the NCAA record for most double figure scoring games in a career. The record of 134 is currently held by Oklahoma's Courtney Paris (2006-09).
- Lavender averaged 24.0 ppg in three games vs. the Lady Lions this year.
- It is the fifth time this year that both Lavender and junior Samantha Prahalis (23 points) have scored 20 or more points in the same game, and the second time vs. Penn State this season.
- Prahalis set a Big Ten Tournament championship game record with nine assists today.
- The Buckeyes' eight blocked shots set a new championship game record. Their 19 assists ties the championship game record.
- Freshman Ashley Adams set the championship game record with five blocked shots.
- Lavender finished with 38 rebounds in the tournament, which is tied for second in a single tournament. She already owns the top spot with 41 in 2009.
- Lavender is the first three-time Most Outstanding Player award winner in tournament history.
- The Buckeyes tallied 104 first-half points in their three tournament games, including a tournament-high 44 today. Half of OSU's first-half points came in the paint (22).
- Ohio State put the game away with a 19-9 run to open second half.
- The Buckeyes carry a nine-game win streak into the postseason and will be making their ninth-straight NCAA Tournament appearance.