• The Big Ten tips off its 36th season of women's basketball this weekend with all 14 schools in action. Nine Big Ten programs begin their seasons on Friday, with six debuting at home, including Michigan, which will unveil its 2017 WNIT championship banner at Crisler Center prior to its Preseason WNIT opener against George Mason. Indiana, Michigan State, Minnesota and Nebraska get started with home games on Saturday and Wisconsin will open at home on Sunday. The Big Ten Conference season begins Thursday, Dec. 28, with the conference once again featuring a 16-game schedule.
• Seven Big Ten schools are ranked or receiving votes in the preseason Associated Press or USA Today polls, led by No. 5 (AP)/No. 8 (USA Today) Ohio State. Maryland is also ranked in both polls at No. 15/13, while reigning WNIT champion Michigan is No. 24/23, making its first preseason appearance in the AP poll since 2001. Indiana, Michigan State and Purdue are receiving votes in both polls, while Nebraska earned votes in the USA Today poll.
• Three top-10 opponents await Big Ten schools during the opening weekend of the season, with Ohio State playing host to No. 10/9 Stanford Friday live on BTN at historic St. John Arena (in a homecoming for former Buckeye head coach and current Cardinal mentor Tara VanDerveer) and tangling with No. 9/10 Louisville on Sunday on ESPNU in the Countdown to Columbus at Nationwide Arena, home of the 2018 NCAA Women's Final Four. On Monday, three-time defending Big Ten champion Maryland welcomes No. 4/2 South Carolina to XFINITY Center for a nationally-televised matchup on ESPN2. In addition, Iowa could potentially face No. 16 Missouri on Saturday at the Hawkeye Challenge.
• For the third year in a row, Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell was chosen as the Preseason Big Ten Player of the Year by the conference coaches and a select media panel. Mitchell is among five of the Big Ten's top 10 scorers from the 2016-17 season who are returning this year. Mitchell tied for first in the Big Ten in scoring at 22.6 points per game, while Michigan's Katelynn Flaherty was third (20.3 ppg.), Penn State's Teniya Page tied for fifth (19.9 ppg.), Minnesota's Carlie Wagner was seventh (19.1 ppg.) and Iowa's Megan Gustafson was 10th (18.5 ppg.).
• With 2,553 points entering this season, Mitchell is the nation's active career scoring leader and is in position to challenge the Big Ten record held by Minnesota's Rachel Banham (3,093 from 2012-16) and the NCAA record held by Washington's Kelsey Plum (3,527 from 2014-17).
• The Big Ten featured some of the nation's highest-scoring teams in 2016-17, with five conference schools among the top 25 and eight among the top 50 in the final NCAA statistical rankings, led by Maryland (2nd - 89.3 ppg.), Ohio State (4th - 85.7 ppg.) and Michigan (18th - 76.9 ppg.).
|Nov. 10, 2017||at Illinois 64, Fort Wayne 50||Champaign, IL||RECAP|
|at Iowa 83, #RV/RV Quinnipiac 67
|Iowa City, IA||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at #5/8 Ohio State 85, #10/9 Stanford 64||Columbus, OH
(St. John Arena)
|at #15/13 Maryland 91, Albany 58||College Park, MD||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at #24/23 Michigan 75, George Mason 61
(Preseason WNIT - First Round)
|Ann Arbor, MI||RECAP|
|at Penn State 86, Siena 72||University Park, PA||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|#RV/RV Purdue 79, at Central Michigan 69||Mount Pleasant, MI||RECAP||ESPN3|
|Rutgers 76, at James Madison 63||Harrisonburg, VA||RECAP|
|Northwestern 63, at Chicago State 36||Chicago, IL||RECAP|
|Nov. 11, 2017||at Indiana 93, Arkansas State 51||Bloomington, IN||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at #NR/RV Nebraska 62, SIU-Edwardsville 53||Lincoln, NE||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at #RV/RV Michigan State 100, Robert Morris 58||East Lansing, MI||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at Iowa 104, Western Kentucky 97 (OT)
|Iowa City, IA||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at Minnesota 107, Lehigh 73||Minneapolis, MN||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|Nov. 12, 2017||at Wisconsin 80, Charlotte 66||Madison, WI||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at Penn State 84, Drexel 70||University Park, PA||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|at Michigan 74, Liberty 50
(Preseason WNIT - Second Round)
|Ann Arbor, MI||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|#9/10 Louisville 95, at #5/8 Ohio State 90 (OT)
(Countdown to Columbus)
|at Florida Gulf Coast 85, Illinois 61||Fort Myers, FL||RECAP||ESPN3|
|Nov. 13, 2017||#4/2 South Carolina 94, at #15/13 Maryland 86||College Park, MD||RECAP||ESPN2
|at #RV/RV Michigan State 95, Oakland 63||East Lansing, MI||RECAP||BTN Plus|
|Minnesota 82, at Rhode Island 60||Kingston, RI||RECAP|
|Rutgers 84, at #NR/RV Temple 67||Philadelphia, PA||RECAP||ESPN3|
NOTE: Rankings from the preseason Associated Press/USA Today Sports polls (RV - receiving votes/NR - not ranked; when only one ranking is listed, it is from Associated Press poll)