Big Ten Softball Weekly Release - March 20
March 20, 2013
The first weekend of Big Ten competition begins Friday with six, three-game sets highlight the weekend slate. Below are news and notes from around Big Ten softball heading into the opening weekend of conference action.
• Nine Big Ten teams prepare for Big Ten play boasting a .500 or better mark in non-conference play with five squads boasting 18 or more wins on the season.
• BTN begins its streaming lineup this weekend, carrying all six games of the Purdue-Michigan and Indiana-Ohio State series on BTN.com.
• Four Big Ten teams are receiving votes in one or both national rankings this week. Michigan is ranked 14th in both the NFCA and USA Softball polls and Nebraska is rated 20th in the USA Softball poll and 25th in the NFCA rankings. Iowa is receiving votes in both polls and Wisconsin is the first team outside the top 25 in the USA Softball rankings.
• Michigan’s Driesenga named NFCA National Player of the Week after posting three wins over nationally ranked teams last week.
• Penn State’s Cassidy Bell (home runs and slugging percentage) and Michigan’s Sara Driesenga and Minnesota’s Sara Moulton (victories) rank in the nation’s top 10 in major stat categories