March 27, 2013
The Big Ten Conference softball season continues Friday with six, three-game sets on the schedule. Below are news and notes from around the conference heading into the second weekend of play.
• Four conference teams carry unblemished Big Ten records through the opening weekend. Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin are each 3-0, while Nebraska is 2-0 in Big Ten play.
• The Big Ten is one of two conferences with 10 or more teams ranked in the season's first RPI report, released by the NCAA. Nebraska (17th), Michigan (18th), Wisconsin (21st) and Iowa (25th) appear among the top 25.
• Five Big Ten teams are receiving votes in one or both national rankings this week. Michigan is ranked 13th in the USA Softball and 14th in the NFCA polls and Nebraska is rated 19th in the USA Softball poll and 24th in the NFCA rankings. Iowa is receiving votes in both polls, while Minnesota and Wisconsin are receiving votes in the USA Softball rankings.
• Ten conference matchups are scheduled to be available to a national audience this week, with three games slated to be televised by BTN and seven others streamed at BTN.com.
• Indiana's Amanda Wagner (batting average and on-base percentage), Michigan's Sara Driesenga (wins), Minnesota's Kaitlyn Richardson (batting average) and Sara Moulton (ERA, wins) and Penn State's Cassidy Bell (batting average, home runs, RBI and slugging percentage) each rank among the top 10 nationally in their respective stat categories.