Big Ten Softball Weekly Release - April 23
April 23, 2013
With just two weeks remain in the Big Ten regular season, conference teams are looking to solidify their seedings ahead of the 2013 Big Ten Softball Tournament, to be held May 9-12 in Lincoln, Neb.
• Michigan, with a national-leading 21-game winning streak, stands atop the conference standings with a 16-0 mark, ahead of second-place Nebraska at 12-4.
• A full slate of broadcasts features 22 contests televised on BTN or streamed on BTN.com this week.
• The Big Ten is one of three conferences, joining the SEC and Pac-12, with six or more teams in the top 50 of the latest RPI. Two teams appear in the top 10 including Michigan (ninth) and Nebraska (10th), with Iowa (22nd), Wisconsin (27th), Minnesota (34th) and Northwestern (47th) among the top 50.
• Five Big Ten teams are receiving votes in the national rankings this week. Michigan remains in the top 10 in both the USA Softball and NFCA polls, appearing at No. 9. Nebraska is tied for 16th in the USA Softball poll and ranked 20th in the NFCA standings. Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin each are receiving votes in the USA Softball poll and Wisconsin appears outside the NFCA top 25.
• Indiana's Amanda Wagner (OBP), Iowa's Megan Blank (RBI per game, OBP), Michigan's Sara Driesenga (wins), Sierra Romero (slugging percentage, home runs, RBI per game, runs per game), Minnesota's Sara Moulton (shutouts), Kaitlyn Richardson (batting average, OBP), Nebraska's Tatum Edwards (shutouts) and Penn State's Cassidy Bell (slugging percentage, home runs, walks, runs per game, OBP) rank among the top 10 nationally in their respective stat categories.