April 30, 2013
Three Big Ten teams are still in the running to claim the conference championship heading into the final weekend of the regular season. With three conference contests remaining, each team looks to finish strong heading into next week’s Big Ten Tournament, which will be held May 9-12 in Lincoln, Neb.
• Three Big Ten teams have a chance to earn the Big Ten Championship in the final weekend of Big Ten play, with Michigan (17-2), Wisconsin (15-5) and Nebraska (14-5) vying for the conference crown.
• A full slate of broadcasts features 13 contests televised on BTN or streamed on BTN.com this week.
• The Big Ten is one of three conferences, joining the SEC and Pac-12, with six or more teams in the top 50 of the latest RPI. Nebraska (sixth) climbs four spots this week, while Michigan (12th), Wisconsin (23rd), Minnesota (29th), Iowa (34th) and Northwestern (45th) are also among the top 50.
• Four Big Ten teams are receiving votes in the national rankings this week, including two in the top 15. Michigan appears at No. 10 in both the USA Softball and NFCA polls, while Nebraska is 14th in the USA Softball poll and tied for 16th in the NFCA standings. Wisconsin appears at No. 25 in the NFCA rankings and joins Minnesota among the teams also receiving votes in the USA Softball poll.
• Indiana’s Amanda Wagner (on-base percentage), Iowa’s Megan Blank (on-base percentage), Michigan’s Sierra Romero (home runs, RBI per game), Minnesota’s Sara Moulton (wins, shutouts) and Kaitlyn Richardson (batting average, on-base percentage), Northwestern’s Amy Letourneau (strikeouts) and Penn State’s Cassidy Bell (batting average, home runs, walks, slugging percentage, runs per game, on-base percentage) rank among the top 10 nationally in their respective stat categories.