April 26, 2009
The top-ranked Northwestern women’s tennis team earned its 11th consecutive Big Ten Tournament title Sunday with a 4-0 victory over second-seeded Michigan at the University of Wisconsin’s Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The Wildcats can now look forward to a greater prize at the NCAA Championships in May.
With the win, the Wildcats topped their own record for most consecutive Big Ten Tournament titles in women’s tennis history, previously set by NU a year ago. The ‘Cats run of 11 straight titles (1999-09) ranks as the second-longest in the conference annals for any women’s sports, second only to the 12 consecutive swimming and diving championships Michigan notched from 1987-98.
NU has now won the Big Ten Tournament in each of head coach Claire Pollard’s 11 seasons at the helm. Pollard and the ‘Cats improved to 25-1 overall, upping their conference win streak to 77 matches with the victory. This is the 13th overall Big Ten women’s tennis title for Northwestern.
FINAL: No. 1 Northwestern def. No. 2 Michigan, 4-0
1. #1 Maria Mosolova (NU) def. #62 Chisako Sugiyama (MICH) 6-2, 6-1
2. #20 Georgia Rose (NU) def. #97 Rika Tatsuno (MICH) 6-2, 6-3
3. #44 Samantha Murray (NU) vs. Denise Muresan (MICH) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
4. #106 Lauren Lui (NU) vs. Whitney Taney (MICH) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
5. #125 Nazlie Ghazal (NU) vs. Tania Mahtani (MICH) 4-6, 4-1, unfinished
6. Keri Robison (NU) def. Michelle Sulahian (MICH) 6-3, 6-1
1. #21 Georgia Rose/Lauren Lui (NU) def. #27 Chisako Sugiyama/Tania Mahtani (MICH) 8-3
2. #33 Maria Mosolova/Keri Robison (NU) def. Whitney Taney/Rika Tatsuno (MICH) 8-5
3. Lindsey Howard/Denise Muresan (MICH) def. Samantha Murray/Elena Chernyakova (NU) 8-5
Michigan 17-6; National ranking #18
Northwestern 25-1; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,2
Full Story …