Champaign, Ill. - With a 4-0 victory over No. 2 seed Michigan, top-seeded Ohio State won the 2017 Big Ten Women's Tennis Tournament Championship on Sunday afternoon at the Atkins Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, Ill. The Buckeyes earned their second consecutive conference tournament crown and second overall.
In doubles play, Ohio State’s Anna Sanford and Sandy Niehaus defeated Michigan’s Chiara Lommer and Brienne Minor, 6-3, on court two, while the Buckeyes’ Gabriella De Santis and Ferny Angeles Paz topped Wolverines’ Mira Ruder-Hook and Valeria Patiuk, 6-2 to give Ohio State the doubles point and a 1-0 advantage.
Picking up singles wins for Ohio State were Miho Kowase, Angeles Paz and De Santis. Kowase secured a 6-2, 6-2 win over Alex Najarian at No. 4 singles, while Angeles Paz posted a 6-0, 6-1 win over Patiuk at the No. 6 position. At No. 3 singles, De Santis defeated Lommer, 6-4, 6-1, to clinch the 4-0 team victory.
With the win, Ohio State earns the conference's automatic berth to the NCAA Championships, which will take place May 18-29.
The complete match results are included below.
#4 Ohio State 4, #10 Michigan 0
1. #1 Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) vs. #25 Kate Fahey (MICH) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
2. #60 Anna Sanford (OSU) vs. #24 Brienne Minor (MICH) 7-5, 1-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. #94 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Chiara Lommer (MICH) 6-4, 6-1
4. #95 Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Alex Najarian (MICH) 6-2, 6-2
5. #102 Sandy Niehaus (OSU) vs. Mira Ruder-Hook (MICH) 6-3, 4-6, unfinished
6. #117 Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Valeria Patiuk (MICH) 6-0, 6-1
1. #19 Francesca Di Lorenzo/Miho Kowase (OSU) vs. #9 Kate Fahey/Alex Najarian (MICH) 5-4, unfinished
2. Anna Sanford/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Chiara Lommer/Brienne Minor (MICH) 6-2
3. Gabriella De Santis/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Mira Ruder-Hook/Valeria Patiuk (MICH) 6-3
Michigan 21-5; National ranking #10
Ohio State 28-2; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,3)
Played on indoor courts at Atkins Tennis Center