Final Four Volleyball Release
Dec. 14, 2016
Below you will find the 2016 Big Ten Volleyball Weekly Release in PDF format, including this week's schedule, notes and more.
• The last time the NCAA championship match featured two Big Ten squads was in 2013 when Penn State claimed a four-set win over Wisconsin.
• Nebraska has claimed four national championships, lifting the trophy in 1995, 2000, 2006 and 2015. The Golden Gophers will look to claim their first national title.
• Since 2004, current Big Ten institutions have appeared in every national championship match, claiming eight national titles in that span, including one NCAA Championship and one runner-up finish from Nebraska, prior to joining the Big Ten.
• Nebraska’s Kadie Rolfzen was named the NCAA Lincoln Regional Most Outstanding Player, while the Golden Gophers’ Sarah Wilhite claimed the Minneapolis Regional Most Outstanding Player plaudit. Both players have led their squads to their second straight Final Four appearance.
• A Big Ten record-tying 16 students were named AVCA All-America selections. One-half of all players on the first team were from Big Ten institutions. The Big Ten also boasted six second-team honorees and three third-team selections. In addition, 10 standouts were named AVCA Honorable Mention All-America.
•Nebraska’s Kadie Rolfzen and Wisconsin’s Lauren Carlini became the 27th and 28th players in Division I history to be named All-America selections in all four years of their respective careers.
• Minnesota’s Paige Tapp was named the 2016 Senior CLASS Award winner.